Friday, 31 July 2009

Film deception


I was recently watching the film 'JUMPER' with a friend. There is a scene where the main person is stood on top on one of the pyramids (ie, in the above picture from google images), when I saw this I was like wow that is amazing I would love to go see that, it looks so isolated and magical. I have only ever seen pics of the pyramids and in films so believed naively that what I saw was the truth. But my friend, who visited egypt last year, destroyed this perfect image I had of the pyramids by telling me that what you dont see on the films is that just behind the camera is a huge town with a Mc Donald's, and that in any film your watch with the pryamids in you will see the same shot, as the film people dont what to show this eye saw of a Mc Donald's and distory the magical appeal of the place.

After thinking about this I do start to wonder in what other films the film makers have conveniently decided to take shots at certain angles to make places seem better or more eye pleasing then they actually are. They choice the shots to make them look good for the film but are they creating disappointment when people travel to these places because they saw them on films and thought that it would be amazing to go and see them in person.  I was personally disappointed when my friend told me about the pyramids, but still would love to go and see them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment