Friday, 31 July 2009

Larger packaging








(Bucanero beer can and Cristal beer can, photos taken by me, all others are google image picture)

I have just been on a two week holiday to Cuba, and noticed that the beer can Cristal looked very familiar. I realized that is was because most European beer cans have the name and branding of the beer in an oval shape such as the Stella beer can and Becks beer can does. Then I remember a beer that I had in brazil on my gap year called Skol and that too had its branding in an oval shape on its cans and even bottles. Why does this oral seem to be an international form of branding style among beer companies, is it because it is the best and most ascetically pleasing shape to have an on circular packaging? It just seems a bit boring even though the Cristal have tried something different by having its name diagonal crosses the oral compared to the straight across of the European beers.

I was very happy to see that another local cuban beer that I found on the last day called Bucanero, was completely different in design. It has no oval shape and its name was vertical on the can. It had some individuality and character to the branding, because of this it stood out well amongst the other brand and so I was drawn to buy it as it was different. Its a shame that all beer companies seems to have the same branding style and no real individuality to them. However as I was looking for pics of the European and Brazilian beer I came across the Bucanero bottle and saw that it had the branding in an oval shape. Is there a technical reason for comapanies to have branding in an oval shape on bottles and cans or is it the designers lack of creativity?,  I do hope its the first reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment