Monday, 21 September 2009

Trafalgar Square Plinth

I was in london a few weeks ago, for the Nottingham hill carnival, and while hanging around waiting for my sister in trafalgar square I noticed the plinth (forth plinth) was getting a lot of attention, I had totally forgotten about the plans for it, and when asked my sister she reminded me of the competition where anyone can go on the plinth for an hour and do anything. Then I saw this in the news just a week ago, and thought that it was a good way for someone to use there won, one hour. The fourth plinth competition is about public art and the many possibilities that can bring, I think this one is good as it brings reality and truth and a plea for help in the art which is real and constant for this one person, it has also helped widen the women's case and move it more into the public domain, making the government take action, which they may have not done if this man had not done what he had. But some may say that this is not a place to demonstrate its a place to show art, but when has art ever been something but a demonstration of human life, art is more then a painting or sculpture in this modern day and I think this was an hour of powerful art, which has in the end helped someone stay alive.

Sorry I forget to say what was on the plinth in the photo. It is a Scottish man, and a photo the 51 year old British grandmother, Linda Carty, who is one death row in america right now. The man played a voice recording of the women over and over for the hour.It was a voice recording of her in jail talking about her circumstances.  For more information on this see the CNN news page -  http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/09/10/uk.death.row.plea/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment